13%
Who cares?
56%

Total votes: 16

Fu Manchu
Diamond Cardiac

Harry Potter books/films

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 02:08

What do you think about the Harry Potter phenomenon?

Great?
$hite?
Could'nae give a flying ****?

I vote in the third category...there have been far superior books and films in my lifetime... :D

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:08

But. It's for children, isn't it ?

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:27

nah its not my bag at all-kids on broomsticks isn't something for me,nor can i understand why its such a big thing-so its about a kid with witch powers who eventually dies(well thats what i heard happens in this new one)-big deal!

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sun Jul 15, 2007 13:06

I read the first two and thought the best thing about them was her pacing. Nothing else new about them, indeed a pretty methodical pick and mix looting - but that's exactly what would make them so Hollywoodable and her so rich and us so jealous. The way people rail against them as if they're directly responsible for the Dumbing Down of Western Civilisation, it could only be straightforward jealousy. Lucky bitch. I'm not sure it's even all that indicative of the DD of WC.

Saw the first film on a flight and was struck by how bad it was - argh, British child actors - haven't seen any more. Not that those brilliant american child actors don't give me the creeps, mind.

I vote the Third Way.

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Sun Jul 15, 2007 14:56

We've read three or four books but actually I think the movies are way more fun... I thought the books were quite dull at times.

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sun Jul 15, 2007 16:15

You see what happens when I leave Fu alone with the laptop...????? :roll:

Actually whenever a new Harry Potter book came out I noticed that the bus to work was always full of adults reading it...so probably not just for children... :?

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 16:26

I can take it or leave it myself but I think it's great that so many people are getting into a spin about good old fashioned storytelling and books. It can only be a good thing, surely. Unless you are an independent bookseller of course...

It doesn't really fit in this thread but I absolutely loved the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

Fu Manchu
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fu Manchu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 16:48

Alternate BC wrote:But. It's for children, isn't it ?

So you would think, but it could be argued that Bilbo Baggins and the LOTR Trilogy are also for kids... :?

One good things about the Harry Potter books is that it has raised the awareness of reading amongst some children and has even encouraged some adults to read as well...never quite understood folk that don't read books... :?:

A classic example of that was a mother and lass, approx 11/12, trying to buy stationery with a book token, for the lass, in our local WH Smith...on being advised that they could only buy books with a book token (surprise, surprise), the mother exclaimed loudly, "What! Who reads books anyway?"...the hundreds of books for sale around them might have been a clue... :wink:

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Sun Jul 15, 2007 17:53

Batesy wrote:I can take it or leave it myself but I think it's great that so many people are getting into a spin about good old fashioned storytelling and books.

Fu Manchu wrote:One good things about the Harry Potter books is that it has raised the awareness of reading amongst some children and has even encouraged some adults to read as well...never quite understood folk that don't read books...

...I'm reminded of a snippet from a Bill Hicks monologue:

"I was in Nashville, Tennessee last year, after the show I went to a waffle house, I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me, "Hey, what you readin' for?" Is that like the weirdest fvcking question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading for. Well, godammit, you stumped me. Why do I read? Well... hmmm... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one, is so I don't end up being a fvcking waffle waitress."

...as it happens, whilst I read a fair old amount of fantasy/sci-fi fiction, I've never tackled the Harry Potter books...I like the films though, harmless fun and all that, and in places really rather good, I like the way they get darker as the characters grow older...

*EDIT* - I'm also tickled by the fact that the religious right has its knickers in a twist about the "occult" nature of the Harry Potter franchise, (a bit rich coming from purveyors of the supernatural, if you ask me) yet can't really do anything about it because its such an unstoppable super-massive global hit, with the undeniable knock-on effect of introducing millions of kids to the idea of reading for pleasure...job's a good'un...

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23

Love the films, bored by the books.

Ally Craig
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Ally Craig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:08

Anything that makes children actually choose to read is sorely needed. My mother is a teaching assistant at our local primary school, and from the tales of idiocy she tells me, I sometimes (in fact, USUALLY) forget that these children are 10 years old and not 5. I have seen bits of the first film, and it was entertaining enough, but I can't say I have any real interest or connection with the tale. Really, most of it seemed to be uninspired thievery and tired puns to me (what's that thing about Grimauld being a "grim old place"? Wow, it's like she's channeling Tolkien's etymological prowess!). But as I say, kids need all the encouragement they can get when it comes to reading.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:17

i'm gonna stick to me guns on this-its great its got kids into reading blah blah and all that-i think its just a shame that it has to be harry potter..............

Ally Craig
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Ally Craig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:37

Ady wrote:i'm gonna stick to me guns on this-its great its got kids into reading blah blah and all that-i think its just a shame that it has to be harry potter..............

Yeah, that's about right.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:40

when i was just turned 10 i started reading the hitch hickers guide books-now that was a great read for a young un..

it is cool though to see kids queing in the night just for a bloody book. :D

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Jul 16, 2007 13:20

abnego wrote:*EDIT* - I'm also tickled by the fact that the religious right has its knickers in a twist about the "occult" nature of the Harry Potter franchise, (a bit rich coming from purveyors of the supernatural, if you ask me) yet can't really do anything about it because its such an unstoppable super-massive global hit

:lol: They do try though! Evangelical groups organize Harry Potter book-burnings - attendance tends to be sparse, the X-tian kids look on with anger and confusion, the Stockholm Syndrome I think it's called!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today