They are $hite!
13%
Who cares?
56%

Total votes: 16

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 22:32

Ady wrote:really? if so cool as! i like stuff like that(not tarot cards!).
i remember in the eighties all this religious lot went a bit mental about judas priest-which fair play to um went to court to stand up and say it was utter BS about some backwards message in some record which made to geeks kill umselves.........and yet when you heard the recording-theres sod all there......just buggered up the needle on me record player......i tried it with that stairway to heaven track -i couldn't here sod all.

The band that suffered the most from the whole Satanic obsession was - surprisingly - the Electric Light Orchestra!

The trouble all started back in 1975 on their "Face The Music" LP (which has a grim picture of an electric chair as the centrepiece - a cover one would have thought more the forte of Blue Oyster Cult, etc). The opening track, "Fire On High", has a backwards message on it - Bev Bevan saying "The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back - turn back! - turn back!." before fading away. It is one of the creepiest moments committed to vinyl, & along with the cover probably laid the foundations for the later accusations, giving the impression the band had a hitherto unknown "dark" side to them.

Then came the bizarre coincidence of three ELO singles in a row all stalling at No.6 in the British Singles chart ("Mr Blue Sky", "Wild West Hero" & "Sweet Talkin' Woman"), and the most ridiculous witch hunt in music history kicked off, as a band that frankly were about as evil & scary as the Christmas Tree fairy got mad preachers outside their gigs in the US & even the UK.

On the plus side, like the Eagles with the "Hotel California" uproar, the whole pantomime probably saved them from the vilification many "dinosaur" bands suffered during the punk era: they seemed remarkably immune from criticism whilst others like Steve Harley were crucified.

The band even had one gig - long after their glory days - banned in Ballymena, Northern Ireland c/o Ian Paisley's Democratic Unionists, for being "satanic". A furious Bev Bevan sent a press release to every Northern Irish newspaper he could asking voters next time to consider at the ballot box whether they wanted to be party to such DUP nonsense. Well as events proved, they certainly didn't in Ballymena. Come the local elections several months later, despite being the buckle in Northern Ireland's Bible Belt, such was the embarrassment at being made a nationwide laughing stock (as one local commented in the press, "what next, banning The Wombles?"), the DUP lost control of the council for the first time in almost two decades. That proved to be the last of the "satanic ELO" stories! :twisted: [/i]

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:38

Mark Boyle wrote:The band that suffered the most from the whole Satanic obsession was - surprisingly - the Electric Light Orchestra!

...the same folk who claimed to hear satanic messages in the music were also seeing satanic goat horns in the ELO logo:

...which begs the question: what demonic hidden messages would they see if they took a Rorschach inkblot test...

Ady wrote:i remember in the eighties all this religious lot went a bit mental about judas priest-which fair play to um went to court to stand up and say it was utter BS about some backwards message in some record which made to geeks kill umselves.........and yet when you heard the recording-theres sod all there...

...you can watch/download "Dream Deceivers" (a documentary about the Judas Priest show trial) on google video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5636910946432086857

...theres a great bit at about 42.25 minutes in, where Rob Halford demonstrates to the court (with the aid of a ghettoblaster) how you can 'suggest' to a person that they're about to hear a specific message in a piece of backwards music, thus 'priming' them to hear that message, in this case, the anodyne phrase "I asked for a peppermint, I asked for her to get one"...

Last edited by brother abnego on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19

abnego wrote:...which begs the question: what demonic hidden messages would they see if they took a Rorschach inkblot test...

Exactly! I mean for a person to see goat horns in the chrome on a jukebox reveals rather a lot about the mind-expanding substances they're taking! :wink:

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:31

...in the middle ages many folk believed themselves to be in the grip of an 'ecstatic holy vision' when they were actually suffering from the effects of eating bread that had been made with wheat contaminated by the psychedelic fungus 'ergot'...

...meanwhile, a lot of other folk were getting themselves dunked or burnt as witches for eating the selfsame bread and running through the streets, convincing themselves and others that they were 'possessed'...

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:19

Ergot posioning was rather unpleasant,you ended up with itching skin, burning sensations throughout your body and eventually gangrene in your limbs, and added to that convulsions and hallucinations....lovely!

Hey Ab, I reckon we should start a thread on medieval narcotics and poisons!

Chinners
Flower shop girl that sells tat

Postby Chinners » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:29

I saw a queue of people outside Waterstones in London yesterday. Naturally I presumed there was some celeb doing a book signing thingy but oh no . . . they were queuing for a HP book that comes out on Saturday . . WTF, mental stuff
I saw a cluster of DOGS

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:37

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:Hey Ab, I reckon we should start a thread on medieval narcotics and poisons!

..now there's a good title for the new album right there:

"Medieval Narcotics And Poisons"

Chinners wrote:I saw a queue of people outside Waterstones in London yesterday. Naturally I presumed there was some celeb doing a book signing thingy but oh no . . . they were queuing for a HP book that comes out on Saturday . . WTF, mental stuff

...did they have little tents? (they're my favourite ones, the ones that bring little tents)