PJ Harvey

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

schlep
Cardiacsy

PJ Harvey

Postby schlep » Mon Jul 23, 2007 14:46

I've been listening to her Peel Sessions CD all weekend, and 'To Bring You My Love' - awesome, she's skill, a class act. My favorite album is 'Stories From the City...' but I have to admit there's a couple I still haven't checked out - I fell off the horse, need to catch up!
She has such intensity and presence, she can just hammer one simple blues riff over and over and make you feel it deeply, the space between the notes, everything - totally sexy and weird and scary.
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 17:41

Is 'Stories From The City...' the one that Thom Yorke makes an appearance on? I think I've got that one but it's an unlabelled burnt copy. Funnily enough I was playing it at the weekend while trying to breathe new life into my MP3 player.

I loved the '4 Track Demos' album too.

She does come out with some great stuff but there's a lot of stuff I can't be ar$ed with too! She can tend to veer away from being an angry young thing to just sounding plain ole annoyed.

Sheela-Na-Gig is a ‘throwing-yourself-around-the-Students-Union-dancefloor-after-a-few-snakebites’ classic though.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Jul 23, 2007 17:57

Batesy wrote:Is 'Stories From The City...' the one that Thom Yorke makes an appearance on? I think I've got that one but it's an unlabelled burnt copy.

Yeah that's the one.

Batesy wrote:I loved the '4 Track Demos' album too.

One of my favorites, too - funny, this is one of those things that I thought I was tired of, and got rid of - only to have to rebuy it later, to have "Reeling"! :rolleyes:
Cue "You're Not Rid of Me"

Batesy wrote:She does come out with some great stuff but there's a lot of stuff I can't be ar$ed with too! She can tend to veer away from being an angry young thing to just sounding plain ole annoyed.

"Dance Hall at Louse Point" has a few great tunes - "That Was My Veil"! But the whole thing is sort of dreary.
The songs I've heard from "Is This Desire?" didn't really get to me - that's where I lost the thread.
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 18:04

Batesy also wrote:
Sheela-Na-Gig is a ‘throwing-yourself-around-the-Students-Union-dancefloor-after-a-few-snakebites’ classic though.

Come on - don't tell me you haven't tried this? :D

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 18:29

guilty

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Mon Jul 23, 2007 19:34

Dry and Rid of Me are great records, the recent stuff doesn't do so much for me. Great performer though, her Peel sessions were always worth listening to.