Do you like Ween then?

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:51

whippersnapper wrote:It sounds like they made the whole album in 2 hours (that includes the writing of the lyrics)

:D 'Tis true, some of the lyrics sound improvised on the spot to me, in fact I'd put money on it.

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 13:24

This morning played The Pod on the car stereo! That track 'Molly' is bloody hilarious!!

*mollymollymollymollymollymollymollymollymollymollymollymollymolly....*

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Tue Feb 20, 2007 20:56

ah, time to break out the mollusk i guess, havent listened to it since last time i read this thread.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Owltextures
Gold Cardiac

Postby Owltextures » Wed Feb 21, 2007 00:01

12 Country greats has to be one of the best albums ever. Has anyone else noticed there's only 10 songs on the album?

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 09:29

Owltextures wrote:12 Country greats has to be one of the best albums ever. Has anyone else noticed there's only 10 songs on the album?

Not strictly true. There are another 2 imaginary tracks but you sometimes have to wait several days to imagine them.
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Feb 21, 2007 09:53

Do you like Ween then?

No, not at all.

I liked about two tracks off the Chocolate & Cheese album in 94, which is when they first really made an impact in the UK,with the Freedom of 76 single. But I don't like anything they've done since. And didn't like most of Choc & Cheese either.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Feb 21, 2007 09:57

whippersnapper wrote:what always makes me sad about Ween is they always manage to put some beauties on an album, but the rest is always complete rubbish!

My view exactly!

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Feb 21, 2007 13:04

Well you're sort of right, in a way. The last album only had two or three standout tracks plus a bunch of Floyd guff, but I think the band were in a bit of a slump. The Mollusk is almost without duds though, I'd say. And as for Chocolate And Cheese: Roses Are Free, Baby Bitch, Freedom of 76, What Deaner Was Talking About ...?

The pissing about's not for everyone I guess. However, the whole of a very drunk Astoria bouncing around and shouting out "AIDS!" and "HIV!" was, to me, a marvel to behold. Puerile is Good.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Mar 14, 2007 04:53

This is good. In the notes Deaner (I guess) says they'd only just released Pure Guava and written Freedom of '76.

It's worth a watch if only for the bizarre setting to be stoned in and the woman with the right name. Oh and Gene can sure blow, as I believe the kids say nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYykIA1xVg

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:36

Re: slump, I've heard rumors of Gene Ween in and out of rehab for having too much fun; I think Dean hasbeen responsible for getting them out to do the occasional gig - usually corresponding to times and locations convenient to his other great passion in life, golfing.
And Dean has a side project, the Moistboys.
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 21:24

There's a bit in Bizarre magazine this month.

Its not on the website yet but it should be at some point.

www.bizarremag.com

WORMTOWN!!
Silver Cardiac

Re:

Postby WORMTOWN!! » Wed Feb 08, 2012 23:09

Sterbus wrote:This is going to be released!

http://www.seeofsound.com/catscradle/

:)

Been listening to this one for a while. In my opinion it's preferable to the first 3 albums. Ween live truly are something else, even in their early, stoned-off-their-guord days (which maybe they still are, if rumors are to be believed?)

IMO the 3-disc "Live at Stubb's" is the pinnacle. As good as the "Live in Chicago" set but it's so much longer, plus includes their cover of "Hot for Teacher" which is obviously a must have.