Krautrock

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Mon Oct 09, 2006 22:28

I loved that Faust song, I believe from the first album. It's called "Why don't you eat carrots", it's FAN-TAS-TIC!!!! I love the end of it, some sort of drunken fanfare band strolling by all the time and it sounds as if they're being chased by those martians from War of the World....HAHAHA!

spanstick
Gold Cardiac

Postby spanstick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 23:21

yeh the first faust album is my fave. that track especially - i mean there's not much other stuff that sounds like that is there? :)

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Mon Oct 09, 2006 23:23

spanstick wrote:yeh the first faust album is my fave. that track especially - i mean there's not much other stuff that sounds like that is there? :)

EXACTLY! Such a shame that they didn't make more like that.

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Tue Oct 10, 2006 23:35

i know that foetus compilation thing, it had something with "brick" in the title i believe.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Tue Oct 10, 2006 23:35

hahaha, cool, due to the time fvck up, myreply to your post appears before your post
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Tue Oct 10, 2006 23:39

Bispy wrote:Are you telling me that NWW covered Brainticket?

What is it on? I have to have it.

It was on some ancient ep that was a collaberation with Foetus, but it's on a bunch of compilations like Large Ladies With Cake In The Oven (!) too so you should be able to find it in a bin somewhere.That album also has 'Glory Hole' which is possibly even more disturbing.

Never heard the Brainticket original however, i've given up trying to find that album...

Also been listening to Faust So Far and IV and a shitload of live Can recently and remembering why i stopped doing lsd :axe:

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 23:43

Dapper Swindler wrote:Never heard the Brainticket original however, i've given up trying to find that album...

I have it shared on Soulseek as do many others. Let me know if you can't find it.
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

WORMTOWN!!
Silver Cardiac

Postby WORMTOWN!! » Fri Oct 13, 2006 15:45

Can is currently my favorite band...anyone who puts out 3 absolutely brilliant albums like they did (Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Future Days) and a number of great ones (Soundtracks, Soon Over Babaluma, Landed) gets a lot of respect from me. Not to mention the shear TALENT of those guys!

Otherwise, I like Neu! a lot, as short-lived as they were. Neu! '75 is a perfect album in my opinion. Faust are great too, but I like their more accessible stuff the best (So Far and Faust IV are awesome!)

Right now I'm getting into Amon Duul, and this seems to be the band that would appeal most to fans of Cardiacs (from what I've heard of them at least). Yeti is a pretty crazy album (and therefore their best), but the non-improvised half has a lot of good parts.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Dec 15, 2006 00:01

whippersnapper wrote:I loved that Faust song, I believe from the first album. It's called "Why don't you eat carrots", it's FAN-TAS-TIC!!!! I love the end of it, some sort of drunken fanfare band strolling by all the time and it sounds as if they're being chased by those martians from War of the World....HAHAHA!

whippy, that's 'bout as good a description as any i could imagine to describe the first manifestation of the glorious thing that is Faust

this thread has got a bit buried, be nice to see it rearing its head again -- so has anyone bumped into the new book about the history of Faust, Stretch Out Time 1970-75 by Andy Wilson, who runs the Faustpages website:
www.faust-pages.com
it has details of the book at the top, and the new film of their Garage gig in 96.
the book is a great read and tells probably for the first time in detail how the band came into being and the amazing studio practice they set up for making the first album.

and still they carry on... the collaborative album they made in 2004 with New Jersey hip-hoppers Dälek: Derbe Respect, Alder is a mighty work.

Darwin Goodman
Gold Cardiac

Postby Darwin Goodman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 08:31

Why don't you eat carrots is indeed brilliant, definitely my favourite Faust track, although the rest of their early stuff is pretty wonderful as well. As a whole, their second album So Far is probably even better than the first.

Can is also a big favourite of mine, Future Days in particular, but practically everything they released is worth a listen. Of their often (unjustly) overlooked later albums I have a soft spot especially for Flow Motion.
'There was a time when she did rain me gone ted'

WORMTOWN!!
Silver Cardiac

Postby WORMTOWN!! » Fri Dec 15, 2006 08:53

The first Faust album was a little too weird for the sake of weirdness, but their more accessible ones like Faust IV are the best ones. That's the one that has the song that "Wireless" is based off of...

Darwin Goodman
Gold Cardiac

Postby Darwin Goodman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:19

WORMTOWN!! wrote:their more accessible ones like Faust IV are the best ones

I've been under the impression that Faust IV often gets overlooked because it's "the accessible one". But you're probably right, it may well be one of their most satisfying efforts. It certainly is more accessible than The Faust Tapes, and easier to digest than Faust or So Far. However, it's not a bit less sophisticated than these albums, it just sounds a little more focused.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:05

I'm deep into a Can second honeymoon right now...I've been snaffling up those re-mastered re-issues (the ones that come in those curvy-edged CD cases) over the last year...they are GREAT! As warm-sounding as the original vinyl and just REALLY vibrant (I don't work for Mute records, honest)...obviously you have to give respect to the aforementioned big three (Ege Bamyasi, Tago Mago, Future Days), but I've got a soft spot for Landed and Unlimited Edition at the moment...theres also a good compilation of odds'n'sods called 'Radio Waves' thats worth looking for; it contains the 35 minute 'Up The Bakerloo' from a 1972 edition of the Annie Nightingale radio show, along with a bunch of other live and studio pieces...good stuff...when Holgar Czukay was edged out of the band they lost a LOT, though...

As a long time Hawkwind fan (I know, I know...) I got into Amon Duul II quite early on; Amon Duul's bass player, Dave Anderson, left them after recording Yeti to join Hawkwind...imho you're fine with anything up to 1973/74 with this lot (Utopia, Carnival in Babylon, Yeti, Dance of the Lemmings, then it seems to slowly drift off into more standard, if melodic rock, a bit like Incredible String Band did...in both cases, the later stuff is fine, but its the earlier albums that are the wild and innovative ones...

Neu...love all three albums...love THAT drumbeat, you know the one I mean if you've heard any Neu albums....which reminds me; anyone here familiar with Circle?

...They're Finnish, obviously influenced by Neu and Can, often produced by one of Faust, and very prolific (around 22 albums to date)...they're all about repetiton, phasing, looped instrumentation, viking chanting, just generally powering down on that groove until they've hypnotised themselves and their audience...wicked stuff!

Darwin Goodman
Gold Cardiac

Postby Darwin Goodman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:27

abnego wrote:anyone here familiar with Circle?

...They're Finnish, obviously influenced by Neu and Can -- and very prolific (around 22 albums to date)...they're all about repetiton, phasing, looped instrumentation, viking chanting, just generally powering down on that groove until they've hypnotised themselves and their audience...wicked stuff!

Circle... absolutely wonderful, definitely one of the best Finnish groups (no, I'm not a member), and to call them prolific is surely an understatement - these guys have several similarly active side projects as well. One of the most exhilarating of these Circle offshoots is Pharoah Overlord, who sound like a cross between Faust and Black Sabbath.

And yes, those SACD Can remasters sound truly stupendous (I don't work for Mute either) with Holger Czukay's monstrous bass emerging from the loudspeakers like some primordial eruption.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:32

abnego wrote:I'm deep into a Can second honeymoon right now...

'Up The Bakerloo' from a 1972 edition of the Annie Nightingale radio show

I'm very pleased to hear it, they were peerless in the early 70s, and I think that session (I had it on a small spooled tape) was a longer version of Pinch from Ege Bamyasi for the BBC -- that is one of the great Can numbers for me.
[i had this 'theory', i think i still do, that there are these absolutely seminal recordings for each approx. decade, and they are all around 8-9 minutes: kicking off with Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd, then Pinch by Can, then something off Metal Box, then something by Roni Size... i never got precise enough to say which exactly for the latter two, but that was the drift...???]

I always liked Unlimited Edition -- it sits next door for me to Faust Tapes, having bits of quite unresolved work -- the whole thing a more collaged feel than the albums proper.
I saw Can a few times, after Damo Suzuki left, as the four-piece, they were always brilliant -- the Can DVD from a few years ago has some great stuff: live footage and interviews -- Jaki Liebzeit comes across as an amazingly persistent musician.

Amon Duul II Live in Croydon, is this available still ? I had Disaster by Amon Duul [I] -- a double album of the most uncompromising chugging guitar -- i had to sell it in the end it was so horrible, it would probably sound ok now.

There's some good stuff now on YouTube -- there's a film of Guru Guru which has the real smell of the time...

Could go on all day about this period...