The lost world of Wall of Voodoo

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

dogsetc.

The lost world of Wall of Voodoo

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 17:29

Well these have been biding their time, and after the Eels thread and (to us) the unknown raft of Americana that reared it's various heads on that thread, it is definitely time to declare a deep love of the music that was Wall of Voodoo.
Early 80s, American-movie, heavy narratives, clip-clopping along at various tempos; the definitive frontman and songwriter Stanard Ridgway telling tales of pianos falling on the heads of strangers in town, shoot-ups, drive-ins and Lost Weekends -- in a David Lynch sort of way they were very funny.
They did a few albums, he left to go solo and record similarly great records -- soundtracks for unmade movies, with odd little instrumental bits of pure evocative beauty, and the rather poor hit single 'Camouflage'.
There's a fair bit on YouTube thank god. I first saw them on The Tube, when the 2nd album came out, but only saw them live after Stannard had left (at the Marquee) when they were a travesty without him.
Here's a little taster with full intro/compere, and here, and elsewhere (to use a colloquialism) crank'em up they rrrrrock...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9Epkjxc3I
Call of the West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvnin-u7 ... ed&search=
biggest hit, Mexican Radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_cwxuT ... ed&search=
"I wish I was in Tijuana, eating barbecued iguana."

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Fri Jan 12, 2007 18:16

Love it! It looks like a young Gordon Kennedy on keyboard

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 18:47

Please don't hold back on this Wall of Voodoo thread (not that any of you would) -- i watched those links again and realised my love is even deeper than i thought.

Edit 1: Sorry, I realise it is extremely bad form to try and whip up interest in a thread just two posts long, like some snake-oil seller. And i'm dead chuffed that you love it Garland. I feel a little bit about WofV as i do about Cardiacs (just a little mind) -- do you like 'em, do you like 'em, do you ???

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:35

My Fave Wall of Voodoo song is 'Blackboard Sky', from 'Seven Days in Sammystown'...SO overlooked, this was recorded with new vocalist Andy Prieboy, most people turned their backs on Wall of Voodoo after Stan Ridgeway left, but this album's home to some gems...great cinematic sound...

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Days-Sammystown-Wall-Voodoo/dp/B000002O2D/sr=8-5/qid=
1168623135/ref=sr_1_5/202-1235675-7263823?ie=UTF8&s=music[/url]

...I've got it on vinyl...good luck getting it on CD, unless you want to pay £60, as in the above listing...
Last edited by brother abnego on Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:39

dear abnego, please chop that link in half if you wouldn't mind, you've made these boxes far too wide -- i'm very concerned about the well-being of this thread.

thankyou, much obliged
Last edited by dogsetc. on Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:50

i think so, if there are no wordspaces it just goes on forever on mine

ooh, live action mid-editing confusion

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:57

dogs999 wrote:ooh, live action mid-editing confusion

...thats the one...I got spun out and accidently deleted my own post... :roll: again, apologies, I'd rather put my own eyes out than upset someone...

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 20:25

abnego wrote:I'd rather put my own eyes out than upset someone...

you're graciousness has been noted, abnego, along with your sensitivity of expression

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 20:27

abnego wrote:My Fave Wall of Voodoo song is 'Blackboard Sky', from 'Seven Days in Sammystown'...SO overlooked, this was recorded with new vocalist Andy Prieboy, most people turned their backs on Wall of Voodoo after Stan Ridgeway left, but this album's home to some gems...great cinematic sound...

Getting back to the subject -- i can't associate them with any other voice than Stan's -- it was surely his vision and subject that gave them their distinctivesness

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 21:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuT8zNvaFNI

Stick with this it's gone and got fractured -- just about to add this as further evidence of Wall of Voodoo and Stan Ridgway's genius, thinking it was the old footage of their UK TV appearance, and, having then watched it and found it good and proper, what turns up at the end is a very unusual and maybe unique bit of stuff to be treasured:
Monkey boy Jools Holland in all his early 80s precocious arrogance getting a good verbal dressing down on the street by Stan, for being an uniformed* fake omni-enthusiast with zero-integrity. Glory be, it should be shown as the intro to the next series of his spinning boogie-woogie smorgasbord.
That's cheered me up for the evening.

Edit * should be uninformed, not uniformed, 'tho maybe nowadays in that greasy suit it's just fine.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Sat Jan 13, 2007 03:42

I've changed my mind, I liked that radio song but I downloaded dark continent and didn't get on with it. I liked a few sly lines but for the most part the lyrics left me cold, they were toooo straight, and he sounds too much like Jello Biafra who's voice has always disagreed with me.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:41

dogs999 wrote:what turns up at the end is a very unusual and maybe unique bit of stuff to be treasured:
Monkey boy Jools Holland in all his early 80s precocious arrogance getting a good verbal dressing down on the street by Stan, for being an uniformed* fake omni-enthusiast with zero-integrity. Glory be, it should be shown as the intro to the next series of his spinning boogie-woogie smorgasbord.
That's cheered me up for the evening.

Edit * should be uninformed, not uniformed, 'tho maybe nowadays in that greasy suit it's just fine.

...aah, that IS a special moment, alright...it seems Ridgeway susses Holland as a bit of an unctuous jobbing tosser from the outset, and I get the feeling he's waiting for the right moment to unleash a dressing down upon him...(Holland has long struck me as the kind of ferrety media chancer who thinks he's being ironic, when he's actually just being sarcastic)...that tiny little nanosecond snippet of Holland hammering away on the old Joanna at the very end only serves to underline the colossal thundering irrelevance of the man...The Wall of Voodoo performances on the other hand; I liked 'em, the first one in particular rocked out in a nicely jagged way, chaotic and driven feel...I'd not heard any pre-Mexican Radio stuff, and I really got on well with this, didn't realise they were so rough'n'ready...Cardiacs/Devo hybrid, anyone?

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:12

abnego wrote:My Fave Wall of Voodoo song is 'Blackboard Sky', from 'Seven Days in Sammystown'

I'd not heard this later period, i'd ignored them after Stan left, so i downloaded this song and although not horrible it just doesn't sound enough like them anymore...
The early 'Dark Continent' stuff is rough and ready and they have a drive all of their own, and great tunes, but that galloping timbale rhythm and the voice can put people off -- it's so distinctive, you either love 'em or hate 'em (now that is familiar !). 'Call of the West' for me is the masterwork though.

Holland: he has been slowly driving me into a deep rage for some time, but i didn't recall just how his younger self was so objectionable, and yes, you can detect Stan's distaste -- it's a great bit of rough editing that subliminally drops the point home good and proper. The audience on his show gets more and more like the types who stand around in the Top Gear studio giggling at Clarkson -- and the mug who gets to sit next to Jools on the piano-stool, equivalent to the celebrity who gets to drive like a speedy-person around Jeremy's track.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:20

dogs999 wrote:
abnego wrote:My Fave Wall of Voodoo song is 'Blackboard Sky', from 'Seven Days in Sammystown'

I'd not heard this later period, i'd ignored them after Stan left, so i downloaded this song and although not horrible it just doesn't sound enough like them anymore...

...and after seeing this early footage, I concur...might as well be two different bands...(good bands, but different bands)...

re; Holland...I just got a mental image of him tearing round the Top Gear speed trial test track on some kind of Heath Robinson-esque motorised piano, leaving a fug of boogie-woogie bum gas hanging in the air in his wake...

...from the dictionary;
"unctu·ous·ness, unctu·osi·ty (-s-t) n.
Synonyms: unctuous, fulsome, oily, oleaginous, smarmy
These adjectives mean insincerely, self-servingly, or smugly agreeable or earnest:
an unctuous toady; gave the dictator a fulsome introduction; oily praise;
oleaginous hypocrisy; smarmy self-importance."

...thats the boy...

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:22

abnego wrote:Cardiacs/Devo hybrid, anyone?

There's a couple of bits of YouTube footage of a Hollywood gig in '82 supporting Devo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZX0Bvx9wM
and another that i couldn't locate.
Just another !! thing i love about them is all the stuff they have on stage, like they've come round to do some work and got all their tools out spread all over the place, and he's got a fag on.

edit +
Red light:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNlNk74vz0
On Interstate 15 / Animal Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSGNNAnaFdE